Located in far North-West Tasmania, Circular Head municipality – The Edge of the World – covers an area of 4,917km2. The municipality gained its name from the unusual land formation commonly know as ‘The Nut’ at Stanley, the solidified lave lake of a long-extinct volcano. The Nut was sighted by Bass & Flinders on their historic circumnavigation of Tasmania in 1798.
The town of Smithton, with some 3,500 residents, is the regional centre of Circular Head. The historic town of Stanley is one of Tasmania’s most popular tourist destinations. Arthur River on the West Coast is also a popular destination for both locals and visitors. Other rural townships include Marrawah, Irishtown and Edith Creek.